Tuesday, September 27, 2011

DIY Project: Marriage and Moving into New Husband's Home


I moved into my husband's home last year and I'm still reeling from the amount of work that is needed. You know how you live in your space and keep thinking you'll do that someday. And then all of a sudden, it's been a few years or maybe 10! In this blog, I'm talking about the work I will be doing to create a better kitchen on a budget (keyword here: budget!)






Project #2: Wallpaper and Paint






We got the 80s wallpaper off the walls. But, now for the not-so-fun part of getting all the glue off and readying it for paint. I need to go over it with Diff and scrape all the walls to get the glue off. Then, wash it. sigh. After that, painting will be easy right? Well, I forgot to mention that we will be painting the whole first floor: Dining Room, Family Room, Foyer (two stories) and the Living Room turned My Office. I'll be picking a palette that will work for all the spaces.




(Project #1: we already replaced the tile in the kitchen and we let someone else do it.)





Project #3 Cabinetry






Project #3 was going to be just replacing hardware on the cabinets.
However, they are what I call country hick style.
We don't really want to spend a lot of money on cabinetry.
I am hearing good things about IKEA. I'll go look at those.
(shhh. Craig HATES IKEA!)






Project #4: Corian Counters - what to do with them





I really hate the yellowed taupy corian counters.
I just read in Frank Fontana's DIY article that you can paint a faux concrete over it!
I wonder if I can then hone it so it's smooth concrete!!





Project #5: Builtin Window Seat





Project #5 will be fun but I really need to get working on it now - a window seat so that we can actually use our dining chairs and the kitties can have their own seat for "watching TV" (that's what my husband Craig calls the cats looking outside through the windows). Think I can find a fabric that the kitties like without collecting fur?



Don't worry, we are replacing the table and chairs with mine,
antiques from my late Auntie's house.






Project #6: Eliminate extra furniture - More Builtins




Project #6 requires talking my husband into getting rid of country style tables and desks that just take up room. The guy actually has good taste in furniture and clothes. But, sometimes his wallet talks louder than his sense of style. He bought these cheap or got them free. Let's build those in as well! An added problem here is trying to find a way to store all this "STUFF". You know you can take the stuff away from the guy but the guy keeps collecting stuff. (Okay I'm probably part of this problem)






Project #7: Lighting




Replace old outdated light fixtures.
I'll go with Brushed Nickel.
The whole house needs it so I'd like to do that all at once.






Project #8: Style




Shelving and add my touch to the kitchen.
I am from Moline so I'm bringing a Farm Theme to the
kitchen. You know - John Deere, Corn Fields.
I love the beauty of a farm and all the hard work it represents.




I will update you all on how these projects go.
As I go, I will communicate thought process and DIY tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment